Home | A pop of colour…

If, like me and most twenty-somethings trying to make it in this world, you are renting your current place of residence then you may be familiar with the term I have affectionate coined; The Magnolia Nightmare.

We live in a small (and by small I mean smaller than some 4-man tents) apartment in London and the bedroom kinda leads into the living room which leads into the kitchen so it’s all painted the same shade of lovely Magnolia. Which is not really an issue except for the fact that it’s so boring. And unfortunately when you don’t own the house it’s not your colour scheme to change.

So, a little tip to combat the cream, use accessories to add mad pops of colour to your home! I love bright colours, particularly pinks (can you tell?!) and pastel tones, so I have furnished and accessorized my flat within an inch of it’s life to give it some oomph. And I must say I think it looks fab.

Choosing really strong colours on an otherwise plain background is a really nice style choice for those who don’t want to invest too much time and money in a property which isn’t theirs – you can always take the soft furnishings with you It also means you can update your interior easily as styles and your tastes change. It’s not necessary to spend a fortunate on your place, a few well placed things can make all the difference and can say a lot about your personality. Plus, so many high street shops now do really good quality homewear at bargain prices.

A few pops of colour in my apartment:

Bright Cushions – Primark.

Tropical Fabric Birds – Gift.

Handmade pink Dreamcatchers – Etsy (read my post here).

Audrey Hepburn pop art canvas – charity shop!

xox

1. Chloe Jackson September 6, 2016 / 6:28 pm

Love this post. I’ve been renting for just over a year now and you told it how it is with that Magnolia aha!!

• Jessica Emily September 6, 2016 / 6:31 pm

Hahaha glad I’m not alone! Thanks for reading x

2. Kimberley Jessica September 7, 2016 / 8:42 am

I can imagine your apartment is absolutely stunning!

-kimberleyjessica.blogspot.co.uk

• Jessica Emily September 7, 2016 / 9:01 am

Awh thank you! It’s titchy but quite cute I suppose 🙂 thanks for reading x

3. Hannah September 7, 2016 / 8:57 am

THE MAGNOLIA NIGHTMARE! Boy do I have some expierience with that! Luckily I recently bought my own home (and wallpapered every visible space in my rage against the magnolia of my past) but I feel this post so much in relation to rented spaces! It’s so hard to make them your own – colour is a great way to add you mark (and as a huge cushion fan, I’m loony your collection!) I also used to like to use lots of string lights and create feature walls with photos/posters/art or even just a few post cards!

So glad I found this blog!

Hannah aka The Lazy Girl

• Jessica Emily September 7, 2016 / 9:02 am

Hahaha I know it’s such a mare for people who like a bit of colour like us! I’m dying for a printed wallpaper feature wall !! Postcards is a lovely idea. Might start collecting them from the places we’ve been 🙂 thanks for stopping by!! X