Midweek Motivation | Arms, arms, arms.

Some of you may know that when I started working out in January 2016 it was inspired by my impending wedding and I was motivated by getting in shape to look hot for my big day! One of the things top of my list of flabby bits to tone was ARMS. I always struggled with confidence around my upper arms and always felt they looked flabby in certain outfits. This would not do in a wedding dress!

So, my aim – to get toned sexy arms weren’t too muscley or ‘stacked’. Contrary to popular belief, if you lift weights in the gym – you will not get stacked over night!! Seriously I know so many girls who avoid the free weights because they think their arms will get too big. Body building takes months or even years of constantly lifting and using VERY HEAVY WEIGHTS. Trust me, you’ll be fine.

I’m really pleased with how my arms look now – I feel that they are slender and I have some muscle definition but not too much growth. I achieved this by doing one upper body workout per week where I worked all the muscle groups in my arm, and by keeping the weights mostly the same or increasing by a small amount (1kg at a time).

My favourite arm exercises:

šŸ’™ Push ups

šŸ’™ Pull ups (assisted or non – depending on how hardcore you are)

šŸ’™ Tricep dips

šŸ’™ Bicep & Tricep curls using the cable

šŸ’™ Bar bell clean & press (great all body toner)

šŸ’™ Kettle bell swings (tones the whole arm)

The important thing to remember is it’s okay to start with very low weights. If you think about it – the Bicep and Tricep muscles on your body are actually pretty tiny compared to, say, your leg muscles. The key is to complete the exercise slowly and controlled with a weight that is challenging, but still enables you to complete the movement.

So, get down the gym and boss those arms. Being strong is sexy!

Do you like upper body workouts? What’s your favourite?

INSTAGRAM// BLOGLOVIN// PINTEREST

1. possiblysami November 16, 2016 / 8:31 pm

This definitely does motivate me omg. I’ve been eating so much junk food lately and I want to just change that all and become more healthier and keep myself fit! Loved this post Jesscia! x

• Jessica Emily November 17, 2016 / 7:47 am

Hehe thank you glad you enjoyed it! It’s hard to fit in fitness , healthy eating into a busy life I know!! We can only try our best right. Thanks for reading x

2. Lisa November 16, 2016 / 8:50 pm

Ahh those arms!! Such inspo. I need to go back to a gym, even if it’s wintery and dark now. I always liked lower body work outs, not sure why. I think it’s because I’ve actually got strong legs so it’s easy šŸ˜‚ x

• Jessica Emily November 17, 2016 / 7:48 am

Ah thank you! Yes I always found arm workouts a chore because they are such small muscle groups they are exhausting! Go you with the legs – having strong legs is awesome šŸ’ŖšŸ» thanks for reading lovely x

• Jessica Emily November 17, 2016 / 7:51 am

Awh Hun thanks for the lovely comment it means a lot to know that! It’s sooo hard to fit working out around a busy schedule I know I really struggle with it. Good luck! Xx

3. lovejennyxo November 16, 2016 / 9:00 pm

You go girl! Arms is something I work least on when I’m working out which I really shouldn’t avoid because thats for sure where I’m the weakest. Watching me even attempt a push up is hysterical. But this is so great that you’re motivated and it really helps when you can visually see the progress- keep up the hard work!!!

xo, JJ

• Jessica Emily November 17, 2016 / 7:54 am

Hehe woo! Thank you! Push ups are soooo hard I agree, I do the girly knee ones! But still – even one is better than none right?! Thanks for reading xx