I used to eat and drink A LOT of dairy products. I mean, more than normal. Yes, everyone likes cheese, but I would have a huge bowl of cereal with milk every morning, cheese sandwiches almost daily, pasta piled high with cheese and yogurt. Also (and this is embarrassing to admit but it was in a bid to beat insomnia okay) I used to take a mug of warm milk to bed with me every night.
In January this year me and my husband embarked on a mission to get fit, healthy and slim for our wedding. We gave up all junk food, took up exercise and sort of threw in going dairy free on a bit of a whim to just see what happened. And I’m not exaggerating. It’s changed our lives! Here’s how:
- I’ve got more energy. I get up much much easier in the morning and don’t get that slump in the mid afternoon either.
- I don’t get bloated anymore. I think we all know that an excess of dairy products can cause bloating and tummy troubles – for me this has been non existent since I gave it up.
- I sleep better. Truth be told I can’t tell if this is the dairy free or the healthy lifestyle in general as the two have coincided. Nevertheless, since I quit I’ve found one been sleeping much better.
- I’m less emotional. Now, whether you believe me or not I swear this is true! I’ve heard that diary (especially milk) contains a lot of hormones and, don’t quote me on the science, this can in turn effect ones emotions and (ahem) levels of… shall we say calmness. I will be the first to admit that I used to be neurotic on a good day and shit crazy on a bad one. Ask my husband! Since quitting dairy I seem to have – shall we say – mellowed a bit. And I tend to cry a bit less at nothing. Works for me!
- Weight loss! I cut out sugar and most fatty foods as well so the dairy is just a part of my weight loss journey but there is no denying that dairy products do contain fat and are calorific. All in all I have lost 2 1/2 stone this year and I’m sure going dairy free has contributed to this.
- My skin has improved. This has got to be connected to the hormones too right?? I’ve noticed a huge inrpovement in my skin from it being overall clearer and more glowy to less breakouts and reduced redness in my cheeks.
- It’s improved my psoriasis. I am lucky in the sense that my psoriasis is mild and I only really get it in hidden places like my hairline and neck. However, it skill bugs me and isuncomfortable. Since I stopped consuming dairy I have found that it has improved a lot and practically gone away. I have done a bit of research and found that going dairy free is often recommended for reducing skin conditions like eczema, and since they are similar I guess it would be the same for psoraosis.
- Bye bye migraines! Now I’m not going to pretend that they’ve completed gone – I do still get the occasional migraine. But I used to really suffer from bad ones at least once a month. Dairy is a well known trigger for migraines and I’ve had way less since I quit. In fact, since I went dairy free in January I’ve probably only had 2 migraines which is a significant improvement.
These are benefits that I, personally, have found and by no means are scientifically proven or designed to persuade you to quit dairy! But if anyone is considering it for health reasons or otherwise then the above might be useful. I wouldn’t go back to dairy now because it’s had such profound effects of my health and wellbeing – even though I will miss that cheese board at chistmas!!
Have you given up dairy? How are you finding it?